Deja View

As I was driving down the street a couple of days ago, I noticed the merest haze of green on some of the trees, and there it was--deja vu or, perhaps I should say, deja view.  All of a sudden, I was transported way back to Fairbury, to an April morning in our apartment on the fourth floor of the Hotel Mary-Etta.  There I was, gazing out an east window, looking down over the softly greening treetops.  What a view it was; I could see clear across town!

In the nine years we lived there, I didn't think to take a picture of that magnificent view.  I doubt if my little Kodak Instamatic would have done it justice, anyway.  So, I am thankful for the built-in photo album in my memory, enhanced with the sound effects of chirping birds ushering in the new spring morning.

Here in the Nebraska panhandle, I can plan on seeing the first budding trees any time between mid-March and the middle of May.  My daffodils might start to bloom by March 1st--or May 1st.  Spring is so unpredictable here!  

But, when I was growing up in Fairbury, I could count on seeing those hazy green treetops in April, usually sometime between my birthday on April 14, and my mom's birthday a week later, on April 21.  I didn't realize how much I would treasure that memory.

I guess I should remember this as another unheralded advantage of growing up in an apartment in the tallest building in town--the view!

spring tree photo: Tree Tree.jpg

I can find plenty of pictures of spring trees on the internet, but none of them show just the right perspective.  I guess I'll have to find a tall building here in Gering, someplace where I can look down on the misty green treetops.  Or, maybe it's time for a trip to the top of Scotts Bluff National Monument.  But, wait--I don't think there are enough trees there and, besides, it wouldn't be right to take a picture of the treetops on such a snowy April day.

Ahhh, spring!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid