A World of Hurt

Right now, it seems as if this Earth is in a world of hurt.  Over the past couple of weeks, we've heard about terrorist activities, ISIS, a major plane crash, starving and enslaved children, massive flooding in Arizona (Arizona!), sudden deaths of well-known celebrities, an Ebola crisis in Africa, wars and rumors of war in several locales.  Closer to home, West Nile disease is rearing its ugly head again.  Early frost threatens crops, and late summer snow is predicted this week across Nebraska and surrounding states,  Some vocal Nebraskans question the decision to bring a missionary to Omaha for treatment of Ebola.  And, here in my little world, two nieces have endured car accidents, a friend is fighting encephalitis, the kids and I have been sick, work has been stressful.

I could go on and on, but it's too depressing to continue.

News media seems to revel in the latest glut of news.  When TV and internet and newspapers are plastered with graphic details and sensational photos, it's all too easy to think negative thoughts.  It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that "things have never been this bad before."

But we just have to examine the history books, and even the Bible, to see that current situations aren't much different than they were in the past.  Throughout recorded history, people have been killed by natural disasters or suicide or sheer stupidity.  Since Adam and Eve were banished from the Garden of Eden, people have been ravished with horrible diseases.  Since Cain killed his brother, Abel, people have been threatening each other and attacking at will.  Life happens, and it isn't always pretty.

The main difference now is our instant access to news.  Not only do we "read all about it," we can view hours of live-action video, day after day, and hear countless commentators expounding on every aspect of anything they deem newsworthy. Then, everything that catches the public's attention is rehashed on social media.  I wonder if it's possible to contract Post Traumatic Stress vicariously, just because we are exposed to too much graphically reported tragedy.

I admit that I've been feeling it this week.  Too much negativity, too much stress, too much illness are all working together to drain me dry.

So, I have determined that I will look for the good things around me, offer encouragement to those who need it, spend more time in prayer, turn my unrest over to the only one who can really help, and offer praise for the blessings he gives me every day.

Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.  1 Peter 5:7

Thank you, God, for family and friends, for a home and plenty of food to eat. Thank you for yesterday's beautiful harvest moon and tonight's pouring, abundant rain.  Thanks for the wonderful gift of electricity that makes my life so much easier.  Thanks for my feet and for cars that take me places.  Thanks for co-workers who work hard to do their jobs well, and for students who are so eager to learn.  Thanks for pets and art and music. Most of all, I praise you for sending Jesus to break down the barrier of sin that separated all people from our God, so we can come to you any time, in any circumstances, and give our worries to you.

Here they are, Lord--all my worries.  I don't want them back.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid