Taking a Hike

It's February--Groundhog's Day, to be exact. Today, our local groundhogs saw their shadows, for sure, because the sun has been shining all day. Only six more weeks until spring!

I've hiked year-round with my family ever since I could walk, in every season. Doesn't everyone go hiking in mid-winter? We've even enjoyed many picnics while we sat, shivering, at a picnic table in some deserted park. The last two days, though, have not been typical western Nebraska winter days, so as soon as I heard that the temperature would top 60 degrees this weekend, I made plans.

The Monument Valley Pathway provides a wonderful view of Scotts Bluff National Monument and the North Platte River.

Yesterday, I took Jackson with me to hike the Monument Valley Pathway that borders the North Platte River, on the Scottsbluff side, from the YMCA to the Y camp, a total round trip of nearly three miles. It had been a long time since I had taken that path, since I have to drive a couple of miles to get to it, but it was a gorgeous, sunny day, and I have been getting tired of my normal, in-town routes.

Several other walkers, and a few joggers and bicyclists, were taking advantage of the warm, breezy afternoon along the path. Jackson was excited to see some other leashed dogs, most of them a little better behaved than he is, but he didn't even seem to notice the thousands of Canada Geese that overwinter here, all along the river.


Totally clear, sunny days are somewhat rare this time of year.

The Canada Geese basked in the sunshine, enjoying the open water that has replaced last week's ice.

For me, it was a thrill to wear a sweatshirt instead of my heavy winter coat, and I can't begin to express my delight in ditching my hat and gloves for the afternoon. My normal half hour walk stretched to almost an hour, and I was still sorry to get back to my car.

Here in Scotts Bluff County, it is too easy to forget to take advantage of all of our amazing, scenic, hiking areas.

************

Soon after I got home from the river path, I texted Meagan to see if she and her family would like to join me for a longer hike and picnic at the Wildcat Hills Nature Center, a few miles south of Gering. She was more than willing, as I knew she would be, so we made arrangements to meet at the head of Turkey Run Trail at 11:00 this morning. I took Victoria and Levi with me, and Andy's mom, Deb, came along, too.

It was another balmy, sweatshirt day in the Wildcats and, surprisingly, we aren't the only family that likes to hike on warm winter days. In fact, Ari, wasn't the only baby who was enjoying the hike from his mom's frontpack, and plenty of other young children were enjoying the trek with their families, as well.


    
Parts of the trail were icy or muddy, but the slippery conditions in the shady areas didn't slow us down for long. Mud-caked shoes can be cleaned, and our washing machines, along with a little Spray 'N Wash, will take care of our muddy clothes. In spite of the wintry conditions, or perhaps, because of them, it was quite an adventure for all of us. I am sure the kids will be talking about this hike for years to come.


 We only hiked for fifteen minutes or so, before we climbed up to an old, rock shelter to enjoy the nicest February picnic in my memory. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches always taste best outdoors, where we can enjoy the view. We didn't dawdle long at lunch, though, because we were anxious to finish our hike.






Tobin ate his sandwich on a rock, overlooking the hills.


After Lydia and Evelyn climbed on top of a rock just off the path, I said something about playing "king of the hill." Lydia corrected me, insisting that they were the princesses of the rock.


Jackson enjoyed the hike, but he needed a little help with the steep, rock "stairs" along the trail. Most of the time, he accompanied Victoria willingly, not letting a little ice or mud slow him down. If you don't believe me, just check out his feet! (Victoria gave him a bath as soon as we got home.)


When we finally made it back to the road, Deb's Fitbit indicated that we had climbed 31 flights of stairs today. Even little Lydia walked the whole trail, holding someone's hand for the icy spots, so she wouldn't fall. We named Evie the Falling Queen, but her frequent slips didn't seem to faze her.
If you're looking for an easy hike, try the Monument Valley Pathway along the river, or any of the other sections of bike path in Gering and Scottsbluff. If you're ready for a more challenging hike, try the trails on and around the Monument, or head out to the Wildcat Hills, or one of several nearby Wildlife Management Areas, for a real adventure.

We are truly blessed to live amidst such wonderful examples of God's creation, and even more blessed to be able to enjoy the great outdoors together on such a warm winter day.

For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.  Romans 1:20 (NLT)



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid