The Vicks Treatment

I've been feeling a little "under the weather" for more than a week now. It's nothing serious, just some sinus congestion and a few sniffles, but it doesn't take much to set off my asthma. I awoke more than once last night, coughing and laboring to breathe, so I'm taking a precautionary sick day today, in hopes of avoiding another trip to Urgent Care.

I slept in this morning, later than I ever stay in bed, before enjoying a leisurely breakfast and a nebulizer treatment. After that, I opted for a hot shower, which often soothes my aching muscles and relieves my congestion. I donned my lounging clothes, as Levi calls them, a long sleeved, red, Henley shirt and star-sprinkled, black, velour pants that are just too warm for me to sleep in at night.

Then, I thought of the old home remedy my mom used to apply when I was feeling congested. I rooted around in the bottom cupboard to find something resembling the Vicks she always kept on hand. I didn't have that brand, but I found some Rexall's Medicated Chest Rub, which is essentially the same thing; it's always reminded me of Vaseline with a strong eucalyptus odor.

When I was a young child, Mom applied the Vicks liberally in and under my nose, and on my neck, chest, and back. Then, she made sure I wore an undershirt beneath my pajamas, to soak up the excess Vicks, I suppose, before pinning one of Dad's itchy, wool socks around my neck.

I hated that sock. I absolutely refuse to put an old sock around my neck today, and no one can make me, so there!

I've read recently that some people find relief, even now, by rubbing some Vicks on the bottoms of their feet, so I tried that method, and pulled on some heavy boot socks afterwards. In my opinion, that's the only place socks belong--on my feet.

I massaged some more generic Vicks onto my back and chest, and even some on my neck, and wiped a little bit under my nose for good measure. Besides that, I'll get plenty of rest, do a couple more nebulizer treatments today, drink lots of water, and eat a bowl or two of steaming, hot soup. Then, I'll wait, hoping the Vicks treatment, along with the other measures, will make me feel much better.

If not, I can brave Urgent Care tomorrow, hoping any contact with other sick people won't make me even sicker. I've had my flu shot, but it's not foolproof this year, as Nebraska is in the midst of a full blown flu epidemic.


When I was growing up, my mom rarely took me to see any expensive doctor, preferring to treat my illness at home with a steam tent and the Vicks remedy. Now, though, I head to the doctor's office more frequently, as I've learned that sinus infections and asthma episodes are best treated early.

As I sit here today, I am thankful for modern medicine, for doctors and PAs who know how to treat most illnesses effectively. I am especially thankful for medication, both prescription and over-the-counter, that relieves symptoms and kills that pesky bacteria that can make us so sick. I am grateful, too, that God has made our bodies to be so resilient, so that the first little bacteria or virus that comes along doesn't kill us outright. Aren't white blood cells wonderful?

I'm starting to feel better already.

Praise the Lord, my soul,
and forget not all his benefits—
who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.  --Psalm 103:2-5




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid